Saturday 29 May 2010

It's a long, long way from there to here.

As most of you know, and some of you don't, I'm from Dublin. I've been living in Mansfield in the UK for eight years now (oh my god, has it really been eight years?) with my two boys and my OH, Paul.  We were all born in Dublin, all 100% Irish.  I find it odd how many people ask me if Paul is Irish or English, I suppose him being English would explain our move here.  We moved here simply by fluke, a sequence of events that we just let carry us across the Irish Sea.  Paul had been working in car sales in Dublin, but the company he was working for was closing and offered him a job at any of their branches in the UK.  When Paul told me, I gave him a flat "NO".. it wasn't going to happen, no way no how.  We were in the process of selling our house, but hadn't found anywhere new yet. Paul said then he had to go to Manchester for training.... and that was it! He never came back!  And it was left to me, with two small kids, to finish the sale of the house, pack up and leave.  Grounds for divorce you say....  well, had we been married and had the alimony been worth it, I probably would have.  But instead we moved! 
I'm so glad we did though.  We've loved living here and wouldn't have it any other way.  The lads are settled, we have friends and, despite moving for the job he had, Paul left soon after and moved jobs several times in the last eight years.  He's never had a problem getting a job and is constantly getting offers.  I suppose in that way, we've been very lucky.
But we still miss home, all for different reasons I think.  I miss my family.  Keeping in touch by email and Facebook is all very fine, but nothing bets a cup of tea and a chat.... except I suppose a glass of wine and a gossip!  Paul misses the oddest things... he listens to RTE radio in the car, always knows what's going on in Ireland.  He loves to have a bitch and moan with anyone who'll listen about all things political in Ireland.  Andy loves being Irish, he's so proud of his heritage and likes to touch base every now and then.  And Joe just wants, for the most part, to hang out with his cousins.
We're off to Dublin on Tuesday for a few days.  It's too expensive and we really can't afford it.... but sometimes there's no place like home.  Put the kettle on, we're on our way!

1 comment:

  1. Have a lovely time. I will have the kettle on out my way if you are passing:) Jen.

    ReplyDelete